Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Man of Sorrows

"Man of Sorrows"... 18" x 24" pastel on newsprint. Artist's personal collection.
When I was 15 or 16 years old, I was very inspired by the religious art of the masters, Michelangelo and El Greco. I was particularly influenced by El Greco, as this painting reflects. It began as a charcoal study, and then later I decided to lay in color. I debated whether or not to display this painting from 38 years ago! I must admit, after all this time, the painting still moves me. The Messiah came into this world as a suffering servant. Isaiah said, He was ".. despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him." (Is 53:3 KJV). And then Isaiah says in verse 6, "...And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all." What a saviour, this Man Jesus!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This always has been awesome!